Pages

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Soufflé Girl

Despite having baked many, many things, there is one thing I had never made because it always seemed challenging. So many people fail at making it, that doing so has become a cliché. The first new thing I wanted to learn how to do was to make a soufflé.

I expected to fail. I had a backup dinner planned for when I did fail. I expected my soufflés to fall.
The soufflés before going in the oven.
So when I pulled out three beautiful soufflés out of the oven, I was very pleasantly surprised.

Right after coming out of the oven.
Not only did they look almost perfect, but they tasted pretty good too. I had never had soufflé before, so I didn't know quite what to expect. Because I'm not particularly fond of eggs, I decided to go with a spinach and cheddar recipe to help distract from the egginess.  The recipe I used can be found here.

One thing that I did that really helped me was measuring out all of my ingredients before starting. I very rarely do this; I'm lucky if I think to get all the ingredients out beforehand usually. This proved to be extremely helpful, and I might start doing it more frequently for other recipes.

I think the most difficult thing in making these was the egg whites. Every thing else was just paying attention to making sure you're following directions. I almost went too far with my egg whites, and was quite worried that I had overdone them. But I didn't.

Oh, and don't open the oven door. The sudden change in temperature is a common reason for soufflés falling. It took some serious willpower to not open the door.

Dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment